The "5K"

Lately I have been training for a 5K...I mean really train. I have done a ton of 5K before just for fun and laughs. Due to the lack of time, being a mom and running my own business, a 5K is a great race to train for that doesn't eat up all of your time.

How long is a 5K? A 5K is 3.1 miles. It doesn't seem that far until you try running for time. It then feels like you are sprinting for an eternity! I ran in the Cirque du Soleil 5K this morning at the Las Vegas Springs Preserve (great place to take the kids - check it out HERE). I was trying to get under 20 minutes which would put my mile times at 6:45 mile. I ran a 20:34 - taking 2 place over all for the women and 1 in my age category. I learned that I need to work hill sprints into my workouts! The course had a bunch of hills and I realized that I am not strong enough to hold my pace up the hills.
So how do you train for your first 5K? First, find one that you would like to run and SIGN UP! So many people wait then find every excuse not to do it. Once you have paid you are committed. Start by getting your mileage around 4 miles where you feel comfortable. Next, set a goal time that you want to finish the race. Then speed work, speed work, speed work!

I will be posting some speed work-outs this weekend. I have to run (not literally:)

4 comments:

Jensen Family said...

Hi Megan, this is your cousin Kim! My mom and dad told me you have a blog, so I thought I would check it out! Your daughter is beautiful, so cute! I haven't talked to you forever so thought I would say hi! We should try to stay in touch more! Your blog is very motivating! I also have a blog if you want to check it out it is jensen5.blogspot.com
Take Care!

Unknown said...

my, my girl! you rock my world, taking 1st for your age and second overall! amazing!!! nice work!

Jan said...

Yay for you! You are awesome!! I totally love it that you keep challenging yourself. You are the WOMAN!!

Audrey said...

I love the 5K. I havent done anything else except the 5K. I am slowly working my way up. Congrats on taking second! Very impressive!