Drink Up!

Your water that is! We all know that you should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day....but how many of us actually follow through with this? To do this you should be drinking 64 ounces of water a day.


Incredible as it may seem, water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "magic potion" for permanent weight loss! Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When the kidneys don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. If the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body, and weight loss stops. Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra cellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands. Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give the body what it needs…PLENTY OF WATER. Only then will the stored water be released.

If you drink soda, make sure that you do not count this towards your 8 glasses of water. A good way to make sure you are getting all of the water you need is to carry a water bottle with you and keep filling it through out your day. Make sure you always have water with you in the car.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great reminder! i love me some water. it's good stuff.

Jan said...

I'm becoming more of a water drinker all the time although I don't think it will ever push Diet Coke out of my picture!

Audrey said...

I there such thing as drinking too much water? I think I might have that problem! I am kind of a water addict.

Anonymous said...

Megan,
Hi I am not a weirdo! My sister is a friend of Natalies and I saw your blog on hers. I enjoy reading your cool fitness info. I really love working out and have been wanting to find out more about teaching or training. I taught dancing in high school and have been doing turbo jam for the last 2 years. Could you give me some info on what it takes to get qualified to teach or train? Thanks! My e-mail address is Lovesnouse@yahoo.com